My Photo
Name:
Location: Ft Bragg, NC, United States

Saturday, September 05, 2009

First Hop

Good evening Everybody. I have arrived at the midway point en route to my fourth combat tour. There was a possibility that I could stay behind and catch a later flight, but that was not to be. I am sorry to those whom I missed in my whirlwind calling on the eve of the deployment. Hopefully I will be able to contact you through the months as the deployment progresses.
The flight over was eventful. The food was meager and terrible; the worst being the pasta they left in the warmer during our lengthy hold over in Europe. Also, I might be a paratrooper and am used to aircraft doing their best to make me lose lunch, but am not used to being abused on a civilian aircraft. I woke up mid flight when the craft lost lift for a moment, swayed to and fro, then climbed back up into the thunder bumper the pilot was trying to push through. It was the one moment in my life that I all wanted was for someone to land the darn plane. The clouds parted as we moved over eastern Europe and it was beautiful. Sadly, I got a little choked up looking down on the medieval layout of the cities. I lived in Europe for 5 years and it came to be my home. Katie can attest that all I want to do is move back to Europe, sit on the river in Bassano del Grappa and eat gelato. If I can't get stationed there again, there is always the pipe dream that I can be on HGTV International House Hunters looking for a apartment in Asiago. Time will tell.
So, now I am on hold again waiting to get to my time share in Afghanistan. People have asked if I am happy to be going back. There are a lot of mixed feelings for me. I have spent 34 months in the Sandbox. I know the area, and the people. Plus the landscape starts to grow on you after a while. The near East is an amazing place. I am excited to be going back knowing that is the one place I can truly make a difference. However, the year in Afghanistan will be another year from home, away from friends and family. So, if the Army said I didn't have to go back, I certainly wouldn't be upset. But they have, so here I go again.
Thank you to those who have sent early emails. Your support and words of encouragement are much appreciated. I wish you all well. Till my next post., take care.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home