My Photo
Name:
Location: Ft Bragg, NC, United States

Saturday, July 05, 2008

Exhaustion


Hello everybody. Another day down, and July marches on. It is nice to know that with each passing day our battalion is ever closer to going home.
A regular occurence in Army life is training. I have often joked that if I wasn't deployed, I was training. And for the most part that is true. Don't believe me, just ask Katie. Even though we are deployed, we still train. Training encompasses all sorts of things ie. weapons, first aid, commnications, and of course PT. Another type of training that we do that is very important is base defense. In the old days it was called "Stand To". It is affectionately know as 'Alamo drills' here at COP Lowell. Bagram Airfield we certainly are not. Well, we conducted the training the other day, did a pretty good job (after a year, I could do it in my sleep), and then returned to what we had been doing before. For me, that was taking a nap. As I walked back into the aid station, this is what I saw. Poor Soldier had gotten off guard only minutes before the drill, did the drill, then never got any farther the aid station since it lies halfway to his hooch. The Soldier managed to hold this position for 10 mins, before he slipped, realized he had passed out, then went to up his own bed. Apparently with all the training we do, we learn something that the Army never intended to us: how to sleep anywhere, at anytime, at the first opportunity. :)
Best wishes to all. Hope your summer is shapin up very nicely. Take care.

3 Comments:

Blogger Katie said...

For a minute I thought the pic was of you!!! And don't I know that you can sleep literally anywhere!

7:44 PM  
Blogger TashaLPN2006 said...

I just wanted to tell you thanks for posting your blog like this. I do not know you and you dont know me, but my husband just recently got deployed and is at COP Lowell. Reading some of your blogs has really eased my fears. It's nice to see how you all handle things there and you put it in such a positive light for such a dangerous place/job that it puts myself and my children at ease. Thanks again, and thank you for your service as well!

Tasha (proud army wife!!!)

5:03 AM  
Blogger Rebecca Knight said...

I just wanted to tag on a thank you along with the other women for your service over there. My husband (PFC Knight) recently joined your COP as well. There have been a few of us wives passing around this site to each other and to our husband's families. It's been nice for all of us to get an idea of what our men will be going through. It's also refreshing that you seem to have such a good attitude after being over there for so long! Thank you again for your service and congrats on leaving soon. We will be praying on a safe return for all of you:)

Sincerely,
Rebecca- proud Army wife

2:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home