My Photo
Name:
Location: Ft Bragg, NC, United States

Tuesday, November 28, 2006

New Job


Hello everyone. Well today is Tuesday and it already feels like Thursday. The past two days have been rather hectic. On Monday I started my new job with the new company. I am now the senior Medical Sergeant for Bravo 'Legion' Co, 1-503rd. The Legionnaires have done good work in the past deployments and it is an honor to join them. As the senior medic, I have two Soldiers under me, one a coporal and the other, private first class. Coporals live on in the Army, 'Radar' O'Reilly has not been forgotten. I know they are good medics and am looking forward to working with them. Course no new job would be right without a hiccup within a few hours. My hiccup was the cubby hole the company gave me to work in. It looked like a Cat. 5 hurricane had blown through. I got it fixed up; all it took was 5 Soldiers and 3 hours. No worries.
Today was awesome. I got to perform Jumpmaster duties for the first time today. We had a lot of new Soldiers which made things interesting. I am definetly going to have to conduct a refresher on how to rig our equipment. Some of the rigging I saw today was, well, um, interesting. And in typical fashion we were ready to board the airplane about the time it broke. Our warning lights (red and green) wouldn't go on. We waited an hour on the tarmac waiting for our bird to get fixed or find a new one. The new one arrived an hour later. Nothing like waiting to jump with a 65lb back pack hanging upside down from your waist. Today I served as the Safety for the flight. My primary role was to make sure my Paratroopers' equipment was rigged properly and when the time came, hooked their static lines to the cable inside the plane (so their parachutes would open.) The only interesting thing from the jump was on the first pass we missed two time warnings and had only 30s to get everybody ready to get out the plane. I have never seen the Jumpmasters move so fast. My job was easy: stand there and make sure the jumpers handed off their static lines on the way out the plane. So, definetly a cool day. I can't wait till I get the chance to be a Jumpmaster again.
I know a lot of what I do is a mystery. And also, I am writing this blog after getting up at 0345. So if you have any questions, just send me a line. :) Take care and God bless.

3 Comments:

Blogger Katie said...

I'm so proud of you baby!! You came home with a big smile on your face. I knew it was a good day because that smile normally isn't there when you walk in the door after work, especially after getting up at 345 am. I love you!!

9:16 PM  
Blogger Mom said...

HI MICHAEL MY SON IN LAW THE PUSHER WE ARE SOOOO PROUD!!
SERIOUSLY CONGRATULATIONS MICHAEL SET THEM ALL STRAIGHT NOW
LOVE MOM

1:52 AM  
Blogger Karen said...

Surprisingly that wasn't so mysterious. I actually followed it. Anyhow, congrats on the new job. Hope you are both doing well. Talk to you soon. ~Karen~

1:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home